Re: caching complete table for optimizing search ?

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: caching complete table for optimizing search ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a search query on a table with
> approximately 120.000 rows
> (3848 relpages, dbsize tablesize 30MB).
>
> Because of poor performance I would like to cache
> the complete table in memory, but I'm not sure which
> config param I have
> to use to accomplish
> that.
> The other tables in the db are rather small.

Maybe a redesign of the query is a better idea.
What about creating indexes?

If you provide info about the tables and the query
maybe we can help you.

Your table is very small (just 120.000 rows) but think
about cache a table of millions of rows thats not
optimus.

> What configuration values are best for this kind of
> database ?
>
> Postgres 8.0beta2 on a
> RedHat-Linux with
> Pentium Celeron 1500
> 256MB RAM

There are some docs talking about modifiyng the
postgresql.conf, but i said info about your database,
your tables and data is needed.

Maybe the PERFORMANCE list is more adecuate.

> Thx
> berger

you welcome.

regards,