Re: caching complete table for optimizing search ?

От Johnson, Heather
Тема Re: caching complete table for optimizing search ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I'm not sure what to do to cache a single table, but we use a tool called memcached to accomplish what you are describing. Memcached will cache the db in RAM, allowing you to do all of your reads from memory. Writes are  more expensive, because you have to write to the db and to the cache, but if you have a db that it mostly getting selected against, and performance is a concern, this might be a good solution. You can get more info about memcached at: http://www.danga.com/memcached/.

Heather Johnson
Senior Database Programmer
New York Post

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Sent: 10/27/2004 12:57 PM
Subject: [ADMIN] caching complete table for optimizing search ?

Hello,

I'm running a search query on a table with approximately 120.000 rows
(3848 relpages, dbsize tablesize 30MB).

Because of poor performance I would like to cache the complete table in
memory, but I'm not sure which config param I have to use to accomplish
that.
The other tables in the db are rather small.

What configuration values are best for this kind of database ?

Postgres 8.0beta2 on a
RedHat-Linux with
Pentium Celeron 1500
256MB RAM