Re: NIC to NIC connection

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: NIC to NIC connection
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:05:05PM -0400, Kent Anderson wrote:
> We are upgrading our servers and have run into an interesting situation.  It
> has been proposed that we have a direct connection from the web servers to
> the postgres server via extra NICs.

> Before we even waste time installing the NIC's I would like a sense of how
> hard it is to get postgres to use that kind of a connection vs over the
> Internet.

I don't understand.  What interface other than a NIC are you now
using to go "over the Internet"?  Or do you mean that you want an
_extra_ IP address so that the web servers don't have to compete for
the bandwidth?  In that case, sure, you'll probably get a minor
performance increase, depending on your current network traffic.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland