Re: NIC to NIC connection

От Matt Clark
Тема Re: NIC to NIC connection
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
You would assign a different subnet to the connection, and then tell the servers to connect to the PG server's address on that subnet.  No other changes required.  Very odd setup though.  If you want a 'private' connection then use a switch, rather than needing umpty NICs in the PG server.
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Kent Anderson
Sent: 19 October 2004 17:05
To: Pgsql-Admin@Postgresql. Org
Subject: [ADMIN] NIC to NIC connection

We are upgrading our servers and have run into an interesting situation.  It has been proposed that we have a direct connection from the web servers to the postgres server via extra NICs. Has anyone done this before and how big a project would it be to alter ASP and Java applications to make use of such a connection?

Before we even waste time installing the NIC's I would like a sense of how hard it is to get postgres to use that kind of a connection vs over the Internet. We are looking to increase communication speed between the web servers and database server as much as possible.

Thanks
Kent Anderson