Re: COPY with column headings

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: COPY with column headings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The use case is that it fits in with the way spreadsheets usually do
> > data tables, and many will only allow you to export a whole worksheet
> > (including the heading row) to CSV, not a part of one. Conversely,
> > working with imported data tables will be harder if they lack headings.
>
> Well, if we wanted to *require* a heading row in CSV mode, it would be
> relatively foolproof.  What I don't like is the proposal for an
> independent option; you've got a 50-50 chance of getting it wrong on
> import, and that's too high odds for me.

But we have other CVS options with even lower odds of success on a
random guess.  People have to know if their input file has headings,
period.  Telling people they can't have the option because they might
get it wrong seems strange to me.

> Next question: are you imagining that the header row will actually have
> any semantic significance on input?  Will we check the column names?
> Will we be willing to rearrange the columns if the header row claims the
> column order is different than the COPY command says?

I assume no semantic significance to header row values on input.

Pennsylvania19073