Re: redhat Ent3 et postegresql v7.4.3

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: redhat Ent3 et postegresql v7.4.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Usually the RPM's work fine if they're build for that version of operating
system.
What I tend to do is not trust RPM to do the update correctly (particularly
with postgres).
So normally for an upgrade I:
pg_dumpall > backup.dump
shut down the postmaster
make a backup copy of the old data directory (usually /var/lib/pgsql)
do an rpm -e on all postgres and libpq packages.
make sure /var/lib/pgsql is gone now
install the new version from the rpms which should create a complete setup and
also do the initdb for you.
then restore the databases as postgres user with
psql template1 < backup.dump
do a vacuum full analyze verbose on all databases

If that went all well you should have all your data back in place. You may
have to fiddle with the postgres.conf and pg_hba.conf settings, because
removing the old postgres version will also erase those files. So you may
want to keep a copy around for reference.

Hope that helps

UC

On Thursday 12 August 2004 05:51 am, MPaule Torre wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I have a red hat ent.3 operationg system. It has been delivered with
> postgresql v7.3.6-1
>
> I would like to use a new stable version : v7.4.3
> (server on linux and an ontother PC under windows 2000 to test and develop
>
> : with cygwin => v7.4.3 or v7.4.2 available)
>
> Do you have any information about installing postgresql v7.4.3 rpm on this
> redhat ent 3 operating system ? is it working well ?
> Do I have to delete the oldest package (rpm too) ?
>

> More thanks in advance

>---------------- TORRE  MPaule
> Observatoire Oceanologique -OOV
> PROOF Base de Données/Web
> Quai de la Darse, BP8,Cas. Nicolas
> 06238 VILLEFRANCHE sur MER
> FRANCE
> TEL (33)4.93.76.38.77
> FAX (33)4.93.76.38.73

- --
    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417