Re: PITR Error Message assistance

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: PITR Error Message assistance
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Simon Riggs wrote:
> + elog(WARNING, "could not set notify for archiver to read log file
> %u, segment %u",

Reason? (disk full, network down, leap year?)

I think elog() calls don't get translated.  You should always use
ereport.  Tom would know more about the distinction.

> +   ereport(LOG,
> +   (errmsg("recovery.conf found...starting archive recovery")));

comma

> +  elog(LOG, "redo: cannot restore \"%s\" from archive",
> restoreXlog);

Reason?

> +  ereport(ERROR,
> +                         (errcode_for_file_access(),
> +                          errmsg("could not write archive_status file
> \"%s\" ",
> +                               tmppath)));

Reason?

> +  elog(LOG, "redo: moving last restored xlog to %s", tmppath);

Probably a user doesn't know what "xlog" is.  Also, I don't like the
prefix: style you use.  Just tell what happened.

> +  elog(LOG, "redo: rename failed");

We don't write "foo failed", but "could not do foo".  And again: reason?

> +  elog(LOG, "redo: archive chain ends; using local copy of \"%s\"",
> restoreXlog);

> +   ereport(LOG,
> ! (errmsg("too many transaction log files, removing \"%s\"",
> xlde->d_name)));

How/where is the limit defined?

> +                 ereport(WARNING,
> +                 (errcode_for_file_access(),
> +                  errmsg("chkpt: cannot find archive_status file: %s ",
> +                         rlogpath)));

There is enough space that you can write "checkpoint".  Or actually
don't write anything.  What is the archive_status file?

> +                  elog(WARNING, "chkpt: archiving not yet started for log
> file %s",
> +                         xlog);

What does that tell me?

> DEBUG MESSAGES

Debug messages should have a DEBUG severity.