Re: PITR Error Message assistance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PITR Error Message assistance
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> + elog(WARNING, "could not set notify for archiver to read log file
>> %u, segment %u",

> Reason? (disk full, network down, leap year?)

> I think elog() calls don't get translated.  You should always use
> ereport.  Tom would know more about the distinction.

elog is deprecated except for debugging or "can't-happen" messages.
Anything user-facing ought to be reported with ereport.  In this case
elog might be okay --- it's not clear to me from this snippet whether
the condition is one a user would be likely to see.

There's plenty of detail about all this in chapter 45 of the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/source.html
and I think most of Peter's comments trace directly to items in the
message style guide there.