Re: problem with pg_dump and pg_restore

От Grega Bremec
Тема Re: problem with pg_dump and pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
...and on Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:46:54PM +0200, Fischer Ulrich used the keyboard:
> Hi
>
> I try to move my datas from a postresql 7.3.2 to a postgresql 7.4.1. The
> database was dumped with:
>
>   pg_dumpall -g GLOBALobjects.sql
>   pg_dump -s DATABASE > DBschema.sql
>   pg_dump -Fc DATABASE > DBdata.tar

Why the schema/data separation? One important freedom you get when combining
schema and data in the dumps is you can alter it after you imported the data
and thus avoid cyclic dependencies where existance of one foreign key mandates
the existance of another, which refers to the first one.

For now though, try eliminating all constraints from the schema dump and
ALTERing the tables after you imported the data.

Hope this helped,
--
    Grega Bremec
    Senior Administrator