Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that we should move the config files from
> > pgsql/data to pgsql/data/etc.  Unix config files aren't put in /,
> > they are in /etc, so this seems logical.  I was never comfortable
> > with having editable files right next to files that shouldn't be
> > touched.  This makes backup of the config files easier, and allows
> > for use of a symlink for the directory for those who want them.  I
> > assume some will argue that the change isn't worth it.
>
> I would say that moving the configuration files even deeper into the
> data directory makes it all the more likely for people to not find them
> or be inclined to edit or delete other files nearby ("which of these
> log files can I delete"?).

My idea was that we put the config files in /data/etc, and folks are
less likely to look at the top-level directory for things to muck with.
They can look in data/etc and know exactly which files they should be
touching.  Right now they see:PG_VERSION        pg_hba.conf        postmaster.optsbase/            pg_ident.conf
postmaster.pidglobal/           pg_xlog/pg_clog/        postgresql.conf

and it isn't clear which files to touch.  After the reorganization it
would be:
PG_VERSION              global/                 postmaster.optsbase/                   pg_clog/
postmaster.pidetc/                   pg_xlog/

and /etc would be:
pg_hba.conf             pg_ident.conf           postgresql.conf

which is much cleaner, I think, no?

It also makes backup of the config files easier, and you can symlink the
directory somewhere else if you want.

Pennsylvania19073