Re: Postmaster refuses to start

От Andre Dubuc
Тема Re: Postmaster refuses to start
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Sunday 16 November 2003 01:42 pm, you wrote:
> Andre Dubuc <aajdubuc@webhart.net> writes:
> > I've been using Postgresql 7.3.2 -5 mdk successfully until a major power
> > outage that had forced my box to reboot (under voltage conditions)
> > unsuccessfully twice. As a result, now when I try to access my db, I get:
> >
> > psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
> >         Is the server running locally and accepting
> >         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> This says that the postmaster isn't running, but it's not clear *why*
> it's not running.  Do you have an init script installed that's supposed
> to auto-start the postmaster?  Or do you need to start the postmaster by
> hand, and forgot to?
>
> If you do have an init script, then you need to look in the postmaster's
> log file (stderr output file or syslog, depending on how you have things
> configured) to see whatever error message it put out about why it
> couldn't start.  Or you could try starting the postmaster by hand to see
> what it says.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom,

I'm using the init script that came with the Linux-Manrake distro -- written
by L. Owen. I checked the logs:

syslog -- "localhost postgresql: Starting postgresql service: failure"
/var/log/postgresql -- empty
/var/lib/pgsql/postmaster.pid -- empty

Hand-started postgresql:
"postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
FATAL:  Bogus data in lock file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid"

Same message I got earlier. So what can I do about this mess? I'm stumped . .
.

Tia,
Andre