Re: Postmaster refuses to start

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postmaster refuses to start
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Andre Dubuc <aajdubuc@webhart.net> writes:
> I've been using Postgresql 7.3.2 -5 mdk successfully until a major power
> outage that had forced my box to reboot (under voltage conditions)
> unsuccessfully twice. As a result, now when I try to access my db, I get:

> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

This says that the postmaster isn't running, but it's not clear *why*
it's not running.  Do you have an init script installed that's supposed
to auto-start the postmaster?  Or do you need to start the postmaster by
hand, and forgot to?

If you do have an init script, then you need to look in the postmaster's
log file (stderr output file or syslog, depending on how you have things
configured) to see whatever error message it put out about why it
couldn't start.  Or you could try starting the postmaster by hand to see
what it says.