Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> scott.marlowe wrote:
> > The attached file produces this problem.  Note it's a blank trailing field
> > that looks to be causing it.  The error for this .sql file is:
> >
> > ERROR:  literal carriage return found in data
> > HINT:  Use "\r" to represent carriage return.
> > CONTEXT:  COPY FROM, line 2
> >
> > Note that loading this into pico and saving it back out fixes the problem.
> >
> > If I remove the preceding row that doesn't end in a blank field, I get a
> > different error, this one:
> >
> > ERROR:  end-of-copy marker does not match previous newline style
> > CONTEXT:  COPY FROM, line 2
>
> OK, 'vi' shows it as:
>
>     COPY people2 (id, persons) FROM stdin;
>     59      Chance Terry--S
>     60      ^M
>     \.

The significant issue here is that we don't want to throw a warning in
this case;  it should be an error --- this is clearly a data value we
don't want to discard as part of the end-of-line.

The argument that you want a warning because you might have mixed
newlines in the file seems less likely than this case where they are
using a literal carriage return as a data value at the end of the line.

Seems we should just fix initdb as my patch does and see if we get any
more mixed-newline cases or literal carriage-return data cases.  My
guess is that we will get more of the latter.

Pennsylvania19073