Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

От Tommi Maekitalo
Тема Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 3. September 2003 20:16 schrieb Bruce Momjian:

> As for the IPv6 issue --- how prevalent is this problem.  What OS
> versions are affected?  Has the user done something special to enable
> this?

I have a SuSE 8.2 out of the box. I have done nothing with IPv6. I don't even
know much about IPv6.

Users expect, that it works just after installation. But after following the
discussion I think, that it is not so much a problem. I have 127.0.0.1 in my
pg_hba.conf and when I set PGHOST to 127.0.0.1 it workes. If I set PGHOST to
localhost, it resolves to ::1, wich don't match my pg_hba.conf-entry. The
error message is somewhat clear and gives the user a good hint, where to look
for.

I don't like the idea of doing something special with loopback-interfaces.
Loopback-interfaces are to test the network and tries to handle everything
like normal networking.

Is it possible to ignore IPv6-entries in pg_hba.conf on non-IPv6-machines?
Then we could uncomment IPv6 localhost connections by default. Or uncomment
these entries just on IPv6-machines. But this needs modification of default
pg_hba.conf depending on OS.

Tommi
--
Dr. Eckhardt + Partner GmbH