Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Дата
Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?  (Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>)
Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?  (Tommi Maekitalo <t.maekitalo@epgmbh.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > This doesn't look consistent to me. Local addresses can be all
> > addresses that the host's interfaces are currently configured with,
> > loopback is nothing special in this sense. The admin can easily do
> > 'ifconfig' to see all addresses configured and enter them into
> > pg_hba.conf, because these addresses are obvious.
>

> We currently have this in the default pg_hba.conf file:
>
>   host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
>
> The idea was to have something which would perform equivalently on IP4
> only, IP4 over IP6 and pure IP6 connections, without breaking the
> postmaster host in any of them.
>
> It is perfectly true that it could be mangled by the administrator -
> this would save him/her having to do so for the default case. In my
> proposal you would replace this default line with:
>
>   loopback all all trust
>
> It's the fact that it is the default that makes it special. Does that
> make things clearer?

We have avoided doing dns lookups from pg_hba.conf, and hence the use of
127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.  Now that we cache pg_hba.conf, we could
consider allowing hostnames in pg_hba.conf.  Is that a TODO?

As for the IPv6 issue --- how prevalent is this problem.  What OS
versions are affected?  Has the user done something special to enable
this?

Pennsylvania19073