[ SOLVED ] Re: possible data loss.

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема [ SOLVED ] Re: possible data loss.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
update on this .

In fact i was under the impression that it would
have never reached the lists.

My false assertion was based on disappearance of the
records from the user interface of a certain application
which did not bother to display errors to browser from
the database. It was only when i peeked into postgres
log that i realized whats going on.

Actaully i had added a txtidx feild in certain table from
which distinct * was being performed since txtidx type did
not have < or > operators it was rasing errors.
later i removed that column (by some means) and the problem
got corrected.

I got the shock of my life as i really did not have
backups but now i started. my be lord was kind enough
to make me realize timely on the lack of back ups.

Regds
mallah.

On Sunday 08 Jun 2003 9:04 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> <mallah@trade-india.com> writes:
> > I did an vacuum full on a particular table of
> > pgsql 7.2.3 database as a  non superuser.
> > and i feel i have lost considerable data in this
> > text feild in this table. I think it was a known bug with
> > this version.
>
> The vacuum output shows 91902 live tuples during the first vacuum,
> and 91906 during the second.  What is the basis of your assertion
> that you've lost data?
>
> It does appear that some other operation updated most of the rows in
> the table in between, since the second vacuum found 82457 dead tuples.
> I'm suspecting that your real problem is an ill-considered update.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.