Re: Which database?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Which database?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Merlin,

> really understand.  Also, they have replication and a full text
> searching suite which are nice for web apps.

We don't have replication yet, but we do have full text searching ... in fact,
two different implementations.

MySQL is an excellent match for Slashdot because they would rather silently
lose 5% or even 25% of comments than have the site slow down for all users.
MySQL, with its "performance over everything" design strategy, accomodates
this.

On the other hand, if you were running a scheduling/financial/HR/inventory
application, silently losing 5% ... or even 1% ... of transactions under
heavy user load would not be acceptable ... better to have the database shut
down.  Then you use PostgreSQL.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions