Re: Which database?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Which database?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Kereel wrote:

Could You please explain this in more detail. Specifically I am afraid I

do not understand what do You mean by "backing a database", what is
considered not critical and why does this rule apply to the average
developer (why not for advanced developer).
_____________
From the developer's point of view, Mission critical means you get fired
if it stops working :)

More seriously, in a practical sense mission critical usually means
small amounts of downtime or data loss are not catastrophic.  A vast
array of web based applications fit under this category, such as forums,
log books, document serving, that type of thing.
I made a distinction between development and 'advanced development' to
try and explain the high profile systems like Slashdot that run mysql,
which (based on my experience with the database), is something I don't
really understand.  Also, they have replication and a full text
searching suite which are nice for web apps.

If you are working any type of financial transactions, use postgres, and
become familiar with transactions (database, not financial).

Merlin