Re: Which database?

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Which database?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Merlin,
>
> > really understand.  Also, they have replication and a full text
> > searching suite which are nice for web apps.
>
> We don't have replication yet, but we do have full text searching ... in fact,
> two different implementations.
>
> MySQL is an excellent match for Slashdot because they would rather silently
> lose 5% or even 25% of comments than have the site slow down for all users.
> MySQL, with its "performance over everything" design strategy, accomodates
> this.

To be fair you'd have to point out they made this decision "a long time
ago" back when mysql was faster than postgresql, and they could use
mysql's replication feature to "scale up" to the number of users they
needed to support.

These days that gap is virtually nonexistent especially when you
consider how much more efficient their code could be if they didn't have
to write all the transaction/data-checking/table-joining logic into
their code and could just let the database do it. Still I can't blame
them for not wanting to rewrite their app.

Along these lines, "The Register" (theregister.com) just decided to
switch their site to bricolage, which is PostgreSQL based.

Robert Treat