Re: Backup passwd protected DB

От Victor Yegorov
Тема Re: Backup passwd protected DB
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
* Nathalie Boulos <nathalieboulos@hotmail.com> [26.05.2003 12:49]:
> Hello,
>
> I need to backup a postgresql-7.3.2 DB with a user having a password using
> cron.
>
> every time i call pg_dump I get prompted for a password. It's OK if i'm
> running it from command line. But when i use cron, the backup couldn't be
> executed because no password is given.
>
> I don't want to put the password in clear text in any file for security
> reasons, and i don't want to grant read access to a "backup" user with no
> password.
>
> is there any solution to dump that database?

In my case, I've created a separate user, without OS password, stored DB
password in ~/.pgpass with proper permissions.

Now, to access OS user, I need to enter root console and make `su'.

You can also write a little script, that would do sily `encoding' of your
password, say - XOR it with some value. It'll be harder to see real
password.

--

Victor Yegorov