Re: too many users for postgresql? :)

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: too many users for postgresql? :)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 27 January 2003 00:50, Justin Clift wrote:
> will trillich wrote:
> > so there i was, minding my own business, browsing around, and at
> > the postgresql.org site today i got--

> >     Warning: pg_connect() unable to connect to PostgreSQL
> >     server: FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already in
> >     /usr/local/www/www.postgresql.org/idocs/opendb.php on line 3
> >     Unable to access database

> Which page(s) were you at to get this?  Have been trying to temporarily
> disable database access from parts of the site to stop this error until
> the max_connections parameter is bumped up.  Looked like all the pages
> haven't been fixed yet.

This is one of the biggest advantages to the pooled model of AOLserver.  If
you have the number of connections to the database set equal to the number of
connection threads, you can never get this sort of message.  The webserver
will refuse the connection first -- which is probably a better thing to do,
rather than give such a damaging ('What? PostgreSQL can't scale to the load
of its own server?') error message.  While you certainly can do this with
Apache/PHP, it requires a much larger number to make it work well under load.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio