Re: autovacuum suggestions for 500,000,000+ row tables?

От Alex Stapleton
Тема Re: autovacuum suggestions for 500,000,000+ row tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 21 Jun 2005, at 18:13, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Alex,
>

>> Downtime is something I'd rather avoid if possible. Do you think we
>> will need to run VACUUM FULL occasionally? I'd rather not lock tables
>> up unless I cant avoid it. We can probably squeeze an automated
>> vacuum tied to our data inserters every now and then though.
>>

> As long as your update/deletes are less than 10% of the table for
> all time,
> you should never have to vacuum, pending XID wraparound.

Hmm, I guess as we have hundreds of millions of rows, and when we do
delete things, it's only a few thousand, and rarely. VACUUMing
shouldn't need to happen too often. Thats good. Thanks a lot for the
advice.

>> Is this an 8.0 thing? I don't have a pg_controldata from what I can
>> see. Thats nice to hear though.
>>

> 'fraid so, yes.

Bloody Debian stable. I might have to experiment with building from
source or using alien on debian to convert the rpms. Fun. Oh well.