Re: Postgresql -- initial impressions and comments

От j.random.programmer
Тема Re: Postgresql -- initial impressions and comments
Дата
Re: Postgresql -- initial impressions and comments  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.
Here are some followup comments:

---------------------------------------
Original:
No way to grant permissions on all tables
within a database to some user. You have to grant
permissions on each table one-by-one.

Other comments:
Many folks gave examples on how to do this
via shell or plpgsql script.

Followup:
My suggestion is: please add a link from
the command reference documentation page for the GRANT
command to the appropriate page on
technotes.postgresql.com that talks about this issue.

---------------------------------------
Original:
INSERT into foo values (null, 'a', 'b',...) does not
work if the first column is serial. (null cannot be
inserted into serial type).

Other comments:
- Even though mysql allows it, inserting null values
into primary key fields and expecting the database to
fill in the next 'autoincrement' value... that just
seems very non-intuitive to me
- NULL is not the same as DEFAULT.  Treating it the
same is not correct.

Followup:
Please mention the ability to use 'DEFAULT' in the
documentation for the serial type.

---------------------------------------
Original:
My wanting to run postmaster as non-root

Other comments:
- there is no good reason for running as root, so
it's ok to forbit it.
- This feature (mysql mis-feature?) isn't likely to
change any time soon.

Followup:
It's clear that everyone thinks this is a
bad idea. I have to disgree here. I should be allowed
to do what I want even if it's a security risk as long
as that risk is known/explained. It's _not_ an issue
if I bind the daemon to a ip/interface which is
guaranteed private and non-routable (such as
192.168.x.x) and non-forwardable. Then there is no
risk. But it's not really a significant issue either
way - creating a new user/group is not a big deal.

---------------------------------------
Original: About lack of documentatin for MD5 password
encryption (which btw, is the default encryption for
all passwords when 7.3 is compiled out of the box).
Does the JDBC driver do this automatically ?

Other comments:
Yes. You need a fairly late model jdbc driver.

Followup:
I am not seeing this with latest compiled JDBC driver
which I downloaded yesterday (for JDK 1.4 and postgres
7.3). There is also no mention of this in the JDBC
driver's documentation. Essentially, I cannot connect
using JDBC unless I change the connect mode to
"trust".

---------------------------------------
Original:
The documentation needs to be radically improved.

Other comments:
- I usually find everything i need in the Reference
Guide, if not it's in the Users Guide.
- What needs to be changed from a "newbie" perspective
?

Followup:
I am not sure I can point to any one thing that needs
to be changed. But somehow the userland (not
internals) documentation "feels" incomplete, compared
to the extensive mysql docs. Maybe the docs are a) too
spread out b) don't have enough examples c) are not
totally up-to-date
---------------------------------------

Original:
No docs for importing/exporting comma or tab
delimited files from/to tables ?

Other comments:
try "man pg_dump". Also read the documentation:
http://www.se.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/backup.html

Importing:
http://www.se.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/sql-copy.html

Followup:
I was wrong about this. As the followup above stated,
the documentation does cover this.
---------------------------------------

Overall:

I must say that I found the postgres community very
helful and responsive. In the end, that's - by far -
the most important thing. If I was to undertake a
production postgres project, I would feel comfortable
for this very reason.

I did also find some JDBC specific issues that I
posted to the JDBC list. Meanwhile, I am going to keep
playing with postgres and make sure that my programs
work with both mysql and postgresql.

Best regards,

--j