Re: Postgresql -- initial impressions and comments

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: Postgresql -- initial impressions and comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

--On Mittwoch, 4. Dezember 2002 11:14 -0800 "j.random.programmer"
<javadesigner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.
> Here are some followup comments:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Original:
> No way to grant permissions on all tables
> within a database to some user. You have to grant
> permissions on each table one-by-one.

Not out of the box. But if you do it wise, you would
make groups and assign group permissions to the
tables during creation. Then you only have to add
or remove a user to or from one of the groups.

Sure, you can do a mass-assign too. Get the list of
tables and use it to assign the user too.

> Other comments:
> Many folks gave examples on how to do this
> via shell or plpgsql script.
>
> Followup:
> My suggestion is: please add a link from
> the command reference documentation page for the GRANT
> command to the appropriate page on
> technotes.postgresql.com that talks about this issue.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Original:
> INSERT into foo values (null, 'a', 'b',...) does not
> work if the first column is serial. (null cannot be
> inserted into serial type).
>
> Other comments:
> - Even though mysql allows it, inserting null values
> into primary key fields and expecting the database to
> fill in the next 'autoincrement' value... that just
> seems very non-intuitive to me
> - NULL is not the same as DEFAULT.  Treating it the
> same is not correct.
>
> Followup:
> Please mention the ability to use 'DEFAULT' in the
> documentation for the serial type.

Its better to explicitely specify the columns to insert
into anyway. The lazyness of not doing so will pay out
if you change the table columns for any reason.

> Original:
> The documentation needs to be radically improved.
>
> Other comments:
> - I usually find everything i need in the Reference
> Guide, if not it's in the Users Guide.
> - What needs to be changed from a "newbie" perspective
> ?
>
> Followup:
> I am not sure I can point to any one thing that needs
> to be changed. But somehow the userland (not
> internals) documentation "feels" incomplete, compared
> to the extensive mysql docs. Maybe the docs are a) too
> spread out b) don't have enough examples c) are not
> totally up-to-date

I was new to postgresql and even a little bit green
on SQL by beginning of the year. I dont find the
documentation such bad as you describe. Of yourse
ymmv.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain