Re: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

От prashanth@jibe.biz
Тема Re: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:55:52AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't know if you can use 7.3 beta against 7.2.X.
>
> Should work; AFAIR libpq does not do anything that wouldn't work against
> 7.2 or even older servers.  7.3 psql's \d commands are pretty thoroughly
> broken for older servers, but that shouldn't affect direct use of libpq.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I'm having no problems using the 7.3b libpq against a 7.2.1 server, so
far.

The 7.3 psql is pretty much unusable tho against a 7.2 server.  It
generates a parser error in the server as soon as it starts up and
connects:

DEBUG:  BackendStartup: forked pid=4881 socket=8
postmaster child[4881]: starting with (postgres -d2 -v131072 -p nocprovider )
DEBUG:  InitPostgres
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  query: select getdatabaseencoding()
DEBUG:  ProcessQuery
DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  query: SELECT usesuper FROM pg_catalog.pg_user WHERE usename = 'prashanth'
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
DEBUG:  AbortCurrentTransaction

and then goes steadily downhill from there.

thanks,

--prashanth