Обсуждение: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

От
prashanth@jibe.biz
Дата:
Hi,

I noticed that the nonblocking code in the 7.3beta2 version of libpq
has been modified to fix the broken return values of PQflush, amongst
others.

A couple of questions:

Is the nonblocking code comprehensively fixed and just awaiting beta
testing, or is it a temporary patch?

Can I use this 7.3 beta2 version of libpq against a 7.2.1 version of
the pgsql server?  It seems from various list archives that the
backend/frontend protocol has not changed so far (though it might for
7.4).  If so, then the answer should be affirmative, correct?  If not,
is there a non-beta version that the server that is usable against
this libpq?

Thanks,

--prashanth

Re: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

Дата:
We believe all the non-blocking problems are fixed.  If not, please let
us know.

I don't know if you can use 7.3 beta against 7.2.X.  We always allow
7.2.X to use 7.3 server, but not always the reverse.  You can give it a
try.

prashanth@jibe.biz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the nonblocking code in the 7.3beta2 version of libpq
> has been modified to fix the broken return values of PQflush, amongst
> others.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> Is the nonblocking code comprehensively fixed and just awaiting beta
> testing, or is it a temporary patch?
>
> Can I use this 7.3 beta2 version of libpq against a 7.2.1 version of
> the pgsql server?  It seems from various list archives that the
> backend/frontend protocol has not changed so far (though it might for
> 7.4).  If so, then the answer should be affirmative, correct?  If not,
> is there a non-beta version that the server that is usable against
> this libpq?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --prashanth

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

Дата:
> I don't know if you can use 7.3 beta against 7.2.X.

Should work; AFAIR libpq does not do anything that wouldn't work against
7.2 or even older servers.  7.3 psql's \d commands are pretty thoroughly
broken for older servers, but that shouldn't affect direct use of libpq.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Non-blocking libpq in 7.3 beta2

От
prashanth@jibe.biz
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:55:52AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't know if you can use 7.3 beta against 7.2.X.
>
> Should work; AFAIR libpq does not do anything that wouldn't work against
> 7.2 or even older servers.  7.3 psql's \d commands are pretty thoroughly
> broken for older servers, but that shouldn't affect direct use of libpq.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I'm having no problems using the 7.3b libpq against a 7.2.1 server, so
far.

The 7.3 psql is pretty much unusable tho against a 7.2 server.  It
generates a parser error in the server as soon as it starts up and
connects:

DEBUG:  BackendStartup: forked pid=4881 socket=8
postmaster child[4881]: starting with (postgres -d2 -v131072 -p nocprovider )
DEBUG:  InitPostgres
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  query: select getdatabaseencoding()
DEBUG:  ProcessQuery
DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  query: SELECT usesuper FROM pg_catalog.pg_user WHERE usename = 'prashanth'
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
DEBUG:  AbortCurrentTransaction

and then goes steadily downhill from there.

thanks,

--prashanth