Re: Transaction Exception Question

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Transaction Exception Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:40:50AM -0700, Jon Swinth wrote:
> As for the FK issue.  An order queue isn't feasable because of a
> current requirement that the customer receive immediate feedback if
> the credit card is declined and I can't contact to the credit card
> company without a concrete order number (keeping in mind that some

Oh, you can get that.  Think of a high-volume transaction system.
You have a "pending" table and a "posted" table.  The order gets
authorised, and the charges get approved, and the order number
assigned when the order gets posted to the "pending" table.  A
separate process moves orders from the "pending" to the "posted"
table, and this latter action is what does updates, if any, to the
"product" table.  Or is this not the problem?  I've only ever had
writers block with FK constraints.  Maybe (probably) I'm
misunderstanding the problem here, and your design is different from
what I'm imagining.

(On the general point that the FK implementation is less than
optimal, I totally agree.  I just wish I had an idea on how to make
it better.)

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110