Re: Transaction Exception Question

От Jon Swinth
Тема Re: Transaction Exception Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
ah, now I understand where you got FK from.  The transaction exeception I run
into most often is caused by an Unique Key (not the PK either).  An insert
will block on UK violation when the existing record has been inserted from a
non-complete transaction.  The insert must block until the other transaction
is committed or rolled back.  A commit of the other transaction would result
in a UK violation SQL error and rollback.  A rollback of the other
transaction will result in the insert being successful.

As for your pending and posted idea, are you proposing to not have FK on the
pending table?  What do I do when the order fails an FK when moving from
pending to posted?  The whole point of the transaction is that when I am
done, everything is updated properly or nothing is updated.

Based on what I know of Postgre so far, there are two ways to solve the FK
lock issues.  Both require that the concept of read lock be added to the core
of postgre.  One way would be to keep the current trigger based FKs and add
to the allowed SQL a statement like SELECT ... FOR READ OF "table".  Another
would be to implement FKs as part of the schema definitions and do away with
the generated triggers, but that would probably be more work.  Some debate
may be necessary as to what a read lock constitutes.  For FK, a read lock
only needs to prevent the record from being deleted or the referencing key
changed.  Some would say that a read lock should block write locks but allow
other read locks.