Evaluating PostgreSQL for Production Web App

От dbdweeb
Тема Evaluating PostgreSQL for Production Web App
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm looking for real world examples or case studies on
stretching PostgreSQL to the max as regards 24X7 OLTP
support for large databases with high numbers of
concurrent users. Anyone have a matrix comparing
features amongst the open source databases?

We host our application with 1000+/- MySQL "databases"
(AKA schemas) over the internet. There are lots of
enduser queries peaking at about 200 queries per
second for extended periods on some databases with a
rare max peak of 800 queries per second. Our
developers want to standardize on one open source
database for initial coding with 2ndary for Oracle and
SQLServer. Currently our primary database is
MySQL/MyISAM with lots of extra coding to work around
non-ANSI compliance, due mostly to the lack of
subselects and limited support (or non-production
support) for ACID compliant transactions.

We have looked at MySQL/Innodb but are concerned about
24X7 production support. We need to accommodate
database growth without having to bounce the database.
If we abandon MySQL we will have to migrate all the
data to the new database engine.

Any good PostgreSQL implementation stories you would
like to share? Any recommended web sites on PostgreSQL
case studies and white papers?

TIA!!!
D. B.