Re: Temporal Database

От George.T.Essig@stls.frb.org
Тема Re: Temporal Database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a production database with 500,000 data points of time series data
in 1 table.  There have been no performance problems so far.  You just have
to make sure your queries are using the indexes you have created.

I talked to Tom Lane and Bruce Momjian at the O'Reilly Open Source
Conference about storing time series data in PostgreSQL.  Tom said
relational databases are not really designed for storing time series data
because there is no assumed ordering among the rows in a table.  Bruce
suggested I divide the data points into 2 tables- the historical unchanging
data in one table and the most recent changing data in another table.
Next, Bruce suggested using a cluster index on the historical data to take
advantage of the row ordering.  Last, Bruce said to create a view to make
the 2 tables appear as one unified table.

In summary, I've had no problems storing time series data in PostgreSQL
using a very simple database structure.  Over time, I plan to add data and
if performance slows I'll investigate the recommendations of Bruce.

George