Re: MySQL or Postgres ?

От Eric Lee Green
Тема Re: MySQL or Postgres ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:03 am, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> If you'd have to suggest which type of database one migh use, how would
> you reflect the differences between them to show up pros and cons ?
>
> Any URL to help me to clarify this situation ?

http://www.postgresql.org

http://www.mysql.com

The two databases are free to download. Download them, compile them, test them
against your own application's criteria. I've done that twice over the past
two years. In one case MySQL was the database that I chose because it met my
particular criteria better. In another case PostgreSQL was the database that
I chose because it met my particular criteria better. In yet a third case,
ASCII colon-deliminated flat files were the database that I chose because
they met my particular criteria better :-). (You have to get a *LOT* of
records into a flat file before 'grep ":${RECORD}:" /some/flatfile | sort '
runs slow enough to have a percievable interactive user delay, and it's a lot
simpler to control from a shell script.).

The only way you'll know what works for you or not is to download and try
them. Anything else is just flame bait or outright trollishness (get thee
back under your bridge!).

--
Eric Lee Green                       egreen@disc-storage.com
Software Engineer, DISC Inc.    http://www.disc-storage.com