Re: graphical interface - admin

От David BOURIAUD
Тема Re: graphical interface - admin
Дата
Re: graphical interface - admin  (Robert Treat <rtreat@webmd.net>)
Список pgsql-sql
Le Jeudi 27 Juin 2002 13:50, q u a d r a a écrit :
> What's the best open source GUI for DB administration? (postgres)
Why ? Mine of course !

Noway for this stupid answer !
Well, I would say that you have at least two choices amongst those I know :
phpPgAdmin, which works as it's name says with php, and one that is called
pgaccess and which is brought along with the sources of postgreSQL, and which
is written in tcl/tk (as far as I know).

Anyway, neither of them fits my needs. You also have commercial solutions,
like creating a linked db with msAccess (using ODBC), or BO (orientated for
editions). Anyway, you've got many choices.

As for what I first said in this mail, I'll launch the development of a Kde
application (I think called KPostgreSQL...), which will have to fit the
following :

-Ability to open as many DB connections as possible in one MDI frame (as you
can open many documents in KAte).
-Graphical interface for all the administrative tasks (tables creations,
permissions...) nearly as Access does.
-Intelligent queries (at requests), which are able to do autimatic joins (as
far as they are created at table creation time).
-Nice editions made with LaTeX, providing there are classes made.
-etc...
In the future, when I get a full comprention of KParts, it may be integrated
with KWords and all the Koffice suite (I mean, you could embed a query in
KSpread, and so on...).
That's what I plan to do, all in C++, and only for Kde. When the project will
be far enough, I'll open the sources, using CVS I think, and enjoy my time
coding and maybe recieving help. Whatever happens in the future, I WANT to
code this, and will work on it since I need it.

David BOURIAUD
In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have
for windows or gates ?
ICQ#102562021