Re: Further info : Very high load average but no cpu utilization ?

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah.
Тема Re: Further info : Very high load average but no cpu utilization ?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Dennis,

thanks for your interest and i like  your
idea of "Better care before later....."

I feel the best care you can take before its late is is
to monitor the sever , what is happening and when.

basic parameters like load average , iostat do reveal if
anything going fishy.

In my case i do have an heavly loaded webserver, but i do not
feel it was the load that brought the server to its toes.

its more of mismangement on my part. I do not have documented which
all programs  run and when , how much do they load may be
some wicked script running a query that would never finish etc etc,

its not that everytime my server crashed in unexplained manner.
eg at one time i had redirected the postmaster log to a file which
ran out of sapce!.

I feel If you are concerned abt sever health  you should install
softwares like sysstat to monitor various system paramenters at
various time , plot charts etc, and analyze .

my  postmaster is cool now  running for quite sometime without getting wild.

I have got sar installed on my system and now a days
writing a GD cgi application to closely monitor
whats happending to system and when.

i have replied your other questions point wise below:

On Thursday 23 May 2002 01:48 pm, Denis wrote:

> I've been reading this thread with interest, may I ask a few additional
> questions ?
>
> - What version of postgresql are you running, compiled from tarball source
> or RPM version ?

- Is there any good reason to still run this server on a RedHat 6.2 (nonsupported platform from RedHat) ?

not many , it costs bucks to upgrade becoz my server and ISP are in US
and i do not have physical access and not too interested to give my
ISP $$$.

- How large are your databases, and how much usage do you have ?

not very large $PGDATA is betweeb 1.5 GB to 2.0 GB

> - What kinds of API's do you use to interface ?
> - Is the application running locally or do you use IP connections remotely
> ?

Perl DBI , remote ip connections but in same network.

> Reason I am asking is that I still have never had postgresql go bad like
> that.. I can always stop it properly, and to this date have had very few
> problems with postgresql itself. I am interested in your problems because
> I'd like to be aware of issues I can eventually run into.. (Better care
> before than later ? :-)

Even I did not have problems for months together.
And I feel there is/was a hardrive problem.

In my plots even now i see very high peaks at times
and i am still to investigate into it.

> My own configuration is like this :
>
> - Postgresql 7.1.3 with OpenFTS, both compiled from source tarballs
> - Debian Linux 2.2.x platform

I too  used OpenFTS till recently but migrated to contrib/tsearch now.
Hey upgrade to PG 7.2.1  its *really* worth it. read the release notes.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,