Re: Further info : Very high load average but no cpu utilization ?

От Denis
Тема Re: Further info : Very high load average but no cpu utilization ?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Monday 13 May 2002 02:04 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I vaguely remember  postmaster not responding to
> kill -9 even on Linux,
>
> i can confirm next time when (god forbids) my postmaster
> goes crazy. ;-)
>
> i feel lucky now that my postmaster is up for more that
> (24 hrs)
>
> (no offence intended , there have been instances of my postmaster
> running for as  long as 3 months)
>
> regds
> mallah.

I've been reading this thread with interest, may I ask a few additional
questions ?

- What version of postgresql are you running, compiled from tarball source or
RPM version ?
- Is there any good reason to still run this server on a RedHat 6.2 (non
supported platform from RedHat) ?
- How large are your databases, and how much usage do you have ?
- What kinds of API's do you use to interface ?
- Is the application running locally or do you use IP connections remotely ?

Reason I am asking is that I still have never had postgresql go bad like
that.. I can always stop it properly, and to this date have had very few
problems with postgresql itself. I am interested in your problems because I'd
like to be aware of issues I can eventually run into.. (Better care before
than later ? :-)

My own configuration is like this :

- Postgresql 7.1.3 with OpenFTS, both compiled from source tarballs
- Debian Linux 2.2.x platform
- PHP and Perl applications accessing postgresql from remote machines via IP
- Not very large databases (100s of MBs) but very frequent read, and quite
frequent insert / update activity

For the record, server uptime now is equal to the last time I rebooted for a
kernel recompilation, and during that time I have been forced to restart
postgresql only because of hangups on the Application servers (apache w. php
/ perl) ..

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus