Re: Turning column into row

От Joel Burton
Тема Re: Turning column into row
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Yep. When you get the function back from \df+, it drops the doubling of
single-quotes.

> A further question:  Is there any possibility to add a further flag in the
> way:
>
>    select fname, lname, comma(hobbies,SPORT_FLAG) from people
> join hobbies on (personid) group by personid, fname, lname, SPORT_FLAG;
>
> So that we get only those hobbies listed which have SPORT_FLAG = 1
> or something else?

Not like that--aggregate functions can only take one argument. You could,
however, do something like:

SELECT fname, lname, comma ( SPORT_FLAG::char || hobby ) ..

and have the function examine the first character. If 0, don't add the thing
at all; if 1, drop the 1 and add as usual. I think that's way ugly and
hackish, but it would work.

A more SQL-ish way would be something like:
  SELECT fname,         lname,         comma(hobby)    FROM people    JOIN hobbies   USING (personid)   WHERE
sport_flag=1GROUPBY personid, fname, lname;

But that would drop everyone that has hobbies but none that are sport_flag
hobbies.

If you wanted the people with hobbies but without sport_flag hobbies, you
could UNION them in at the end.

Alternatively, you could write the whole thing differently:
  SELECT fname,         lname,         (    SELECT comma(hobby)                FROM hobbies               WHERE
sport_flag=1                AND h.personid=p1.personid         ) AS hobbies    FROM people AS p0

This would show all people, regardless of whether they had any hobbies or
not.

In recent versions (7.2+, IIRC), this would probably be a good deal faster.
To see people w/o sports hobbies, you could change the join to an outer
join, and kick out people with count(hobbies)=0.
  SELECT fname,         lname,         comma(hobby)    FROM people as P0,    JOIN ( SELECT * FROM hobbies WHERE
sport_flag=1) AS h0   USING (personid)GROUP BY  personid, fname, lname;

HTH.

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: