Re: Sorry, too many clients already

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: Sorry, too many clients already
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:00:03PM +0530, Mahesh Guleria wrote:
> Use these commands :
>
> ps -ef|grep post
> kill -9 [process id]

No, no, a thousand times, no! Haven't you seen this appended to
messages on the lists?

-----
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
-----

If you kill -9 the postmaster, various shared memory structures never
get cleaned up correctly, so you risk damaging the database.

What Subra is experiencing is the maximum simultaneous client limit,
which defaults to 32 7.X series (it was 64 in 6.X). You can affect this
with the -N parameter to postmaster, when it starts up. If you increase
it, you may need to increase -B (shared buffers), as well. Check the
pg_ctl man page. Each installation uses a slightly different way to
startup the postmaster, so you'll have to track that down yourself.

Ross