Обсуждение: Sorry, too many clients already

Sorry, too many clients already

От
Subra Radhakrishnan
Дата:
Hi All,

We are getting an error every now and then in
PostgreSQL saying 'Sorry, too many
clients already'. We have recently installed the
database version 7.0.3. Calls to
database are made from our application written in
Java, JSP. Can anyone help
me with this?

Thanks,

Subra
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Sorry, too many clients already

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
By default, one postmaster allows 32 clients to connect at same time,
max is 1024.

1. check your processes under the postgres, kill the junky proccesses.
2. re_start your postmaster with -N=?? (>32)
see your man page of postmaster.

Jie LIANG

St. Bernard Software

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.stbernard.com
www.ipinc.com

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Subra Radhakrishnan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are getting an error every now and then in
> PostgreSQL saying 'Sorry, too many
> clients already'. We have recently installed the
> database version 7.0.3. Calls to
> database are made from our application written in
> Java, JSP. Can anyone help
> me with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Subra
> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

RE: Sorry, too many clients already

От
"Mahesh Guleria"
Дата:
Use these commands :

ps -ef|grep post
kill -9 [process id]

Mahesh Guleria

We are getting an error every now and then in
PostgreSQL saying 'Sorry, too many
clients already'. We have recently installed the
database version 7.0.3. Calls to
database are made from our application written in
Java, JSP. Can anyone help
me with this?

Thanks,

Subra
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

RE: Sorry, too many clients already

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Mahesh Guleria writes:

> Use these commands :
>
> ps -ef|grep post
> kill -9 [process id]

Don't do that, it might destroy your database.  SIGTERM should be used to
kill individual backends.

Re: Sorry, too many clients already

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:00:03PM +0530, Mahesh Guleria wrote:
> Use these commands :
>
> ps -ef|grep post
> kill -9 [process id]

No, no, a thousand times, no! Haven't you seen this appended to
messages on the lists?

-----
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
-----

If you kill -9 the postmaster, various shared memory structures never
get cleaned up correctly, so you risk damaging the database.

What Subra is experiencing is the maximum simultaneous client limit,
which defaults to 32 7.X series (it was 64 in 6.X). You can affect this
with the -N parameter to postmaster, when it starts up. If you increase
it, you may need to increase -B (shared buffers), as well. Check the
pg_ctl man page. Each installation uses a slightly different way to
startup the postmaster, so you'll have to track that down yourself.

Ross

> Mahesh Guleria

David Lizano
Дата:
At 19.42 26/3/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Mahesh Guleria writes:
>
> > Use these commands :
> >
> > ps -ef|grep post
> > kill -9 [process id]
>
>Don't do that, it might destroy your database.  SIGTERM should be used to
>kill individual backends.
>
>--
>Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

You can do it like this:

         killall -TERM postmaster
or
         kill -TERM `pidof postmaster`

The SIGTERM signal can be trapped by a process and when is invoked  the
process can close all the opened resources like files and pipes.

David Lizano - Director área técnica
correo-e: david.lizano@izanet.com

I Z A N E T - Servicios integrales de internet.
web: http://www.izanet.com/
Dirección: C/ Checa, 57-59, 3º D - 50.007 Zaragoza (España)
Teléfono: +34 976 25 80 23    Fax: +34 976 25 80 24

Re: Sorry, too many clients already

Дата:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:00:03PM +0530, Mahesh Guleria wrote:
>> Use these commands :
>>
>> ps -ef|grep post
>> kill -9 [process id]

> No, no, a thousand times, no! Haven't you seen this appended to
> messages on the lists?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Actually, as of 7.1RC1 that issue is gone away; it's still not
considered good practice to kill -9 any postgres process, but
at least you can't shoot yourself in the foot that way anymore.

            regards, tom lane

Sorry, too many clients already

От
Subra Radhakrishnan
Дата:
Thanks everybody,

Majority of the mails I received asked me to start the
postmaster as follows and it seems to work so far:

/usr/local/pgsql/postmaster -i -B 256 -N 128 -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data/

Thanks again,

Subra