Re: Are you running v7 on Debian?

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Are you running v7 on Debian?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Nick Fankhauser" wrote:
  >Hi-
  >
  >We're currently running 6.5.3 on Debian 2.2 Linux. I would rather be on V7,
  >but chose the older version based on the info at the Debian ports site.
  >We're new to this, so we took the easy way out. Now that I've been lurking
  >on the mailing lists for a while, I get the sense that there are quite a few
  >folks running V7 on Debian without significant problems.

The only reason 7.0 is not in Debian 2.2 is that the freeze came before
7.0 was finally released.  I would have much preferred to have 7.0 in the
new Debian release.

  >A couple of questions-
  >
  >1) Are we likely to experience significant problems using the "unstable"
  >Debian package for v7.0.2-6? Does anyone have any words of wisdom or
  >encouragement based on their experience?

Just make sure you have a good and usable backup and a pg_dump of your
database.  It ought to get upgraded automatically, but some people have
had problems.

  >2) An informal poll: send me an email (nickf@ontko.com) if you are running
  >v7.x on Debian. After a few days, I'll send a message back to the list with
  >the count of how many folks are using it so we know how many brains are
  >working on it if we run into a snag.

Well, I do, of course!

There are 8 Debian maintainers who have offered to help me by forming
a Debian maintainers team for PostgreSQL; this is just getting off the
ground now.

Oliver Elphick
Debian maintainer for PostgreSQL

     "And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never
      die. Believest thou this?"    John 11:26