Re: confused about *nix ODBC drivers

От Frank Joerdens
Тема Re: confused about *nix ODBC drivers
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 11:01:51AM +0200, Cedar Cox wrote:

> > Currently I am trying to get unixODBC to work, where the
> > /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini files looks like:
> >
> > [PostgreSQL]
> > Description             = Test to Postgres
> > Driver              = PostgreSQL
> > Trace               = Yes
> > TraceFile               = sql.log    (what's the absolute path? the user's
> > home dir? I don't find an sql.log file anyhwere.)
> > Database                = intranet
> > Servername              = localhost
> > UserName                =
> > Password                =
> > Port                = 5432
> > Protocol                = 7.1
> > ReadOnly                = No
> > RowVersioning           = No
> > ShowSystemTables        = No
> > ShowOidColumn           = No
> > FakeOidIndex            = No
> > ConnSettings            =
>
> Which version of PG are you using?  Is there a new 7.1 protocol?

I am using the 7.1 current snapshot version and I don´t know which
protocol it uses. I´ll try 6.5. Incidentally, I tried to access my 7.1
installation via the Insight Win32 ODBC driver (latest version from
ftp.de.postgresql.org/odbc) - which I verified to
be working correctly with another (6.5) installation - without success.
I was going to post this issue separately in order not to confuse
the unixODBC issue with the Win32 issue. But then again, they may be
related.

With the Win32 driver I do get a connection from MS Access to the 7.1
database, but I don´t see any tables (with the 6.5 database I do). From
what I can gather from the log file (can´t include it now cuz it´s on
another box in another office), the query to show tables is sent to the
backend, but no rows are found. I get the same effect when cutting and
pasting the query from the log file to a console to a psql prompt: On
6.5, rows are returned, on 7.1, there aren´t. Which leads me to conclude
that something was indeed changed in 7.1 vis-a-vis the odbc interface.

The source tree for the 7.1 snapshot contains an
src/interfaces/odbc/odbc.sql file containing "PostgreSQL catalog
extensions for ODBC compliance" which I did run against my 7.1 installation.
Maybe this has something to do with. I don´t know whether these catalog
extension where part of the 6.5 distro, because I don´t have a 6.5
source tree at hand.

What I´ll try next is to get 6.5 to work with unixODBC to see whether
it´s some issue with a new 7.1 interface.

Regards,

Frank

--
frank joerdens