Re: Can PostgreSQL compete with FoxPro for speed

От Alfred Perlstein
Тема Re: Can PostgreSQL compete with FoxPro for speed
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
* Chris Fossenier <Chris@pcguru.com> [001029 17:13] wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am trying to assist a client in structuring their data department.
> My recommendation was moving towards an SQL platform.  However,
> now that I have actually done some benchmarking, I'm not so sure
> about that recommendation.  An SQL platform like Postgres will give
> them better management and structure, but FoxPro appears to be
> beating the pants off of my postgres server.
>
> If someone can point me to some studies or something I would
> really appreciate it.

First, please wrap lines at 70 characters.

Second, if you could detail what exactly you're doing that
shows postgresql lagging behind foxpro we could probably
offer some optimization hints.

Also, you may wish to check the docs about tuning for performance
by increasing the amount of shared memory postgresql uses
with the -B option.

I'd go on but it wouldn't be worth the effort without hearing
what you've tried to do to get performance up.