Re: [HACKERS] Simmultanous Connections (fwd)

От Karl DeBisschop
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Simmultanous Connections (fwd)
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Simmultanous Connections (fwd)  (Mateus Cordeiro Inssa <mateus@ifnet.com.br>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>   Can anyone here help?
>
>   Vince.

Sounds like she may looking at postgres in PHP - at least PHP uses
that temporary and permanant connection concept.  My experience is
that PHP persistent connections are not worth it - the time to
establish a new connection is pretty small, and stale connections can
cause problems.

>   2. I saw in the Q&A that to run more than 32 simmultanous connects could
>   be a big drain on our re-
>       sources. Our  Linux boxes , in general, are Intel 166 to 500s, 128MG
>   of RAM and 6.2 to 13 GIG.
>       Can anyone tell me roughly how much resources per connection does
>   PostgreSQL use?

If an idle psql connection is left open, we're looking at about 1 MB
RAM plus 4MB swap on my linux box.

As I noted above, I'd generally recommend against persistent
connections when there are more than a few users.

Sounds like the machines have the capacity for what sounds like a
fairly small task.  Of course, there would generally be only one
server machine, so I would recommend choosing one of the faster ones.
But it should be stable and usable ath eith end of the spectrum, at
least from my experience.

>   3. If I have 90 teachers posting grades at the same time, (the grade
>   posting program opens 5 dif-
>       ferent databases) and  25 secretaries and administrators poking
>   around in assorted databases
>    looking at information, will postgresql handle that much traffic?

Postgres should handle that easily.

Just my $0.02 worth.  Hope it's helpful.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com>
617.832.0332 (Fax: 617.956.2696)

Information Please - your source for FREE online reference
http://www.infoplease.com  - Your Ultimate Fact Finder
http://kids.infoplease.com - The Great Homework Helper

Netsaint Plugins Development
http://netsaintplug.sourceforge.net