[GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Source install

Good day to you!

I've got a PostgreSQL database server version 9.4.1 installed on an OEL 6 server. I have a second PostgreSQL database server version 9.4.1 running on an identical OEL 6 server. The first PostgreSQL was installed by system admins using RPM. The second PostgreSQL was installed from source, using --prefix to set the user and path to the installation. I want to run a mirror on the second server.

I do not have root, and cannot get root on these systems. Also, the sys admins now refuse to install PostgreSQL anywhere. This is really annoying!

I've followed all the instructions found here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION

The slave, running PostgreSQL 9.4.1 built from source, runs fine after I've run initdb and set things up.
When I replace its data directory as part of the mirroring instructions, using pg_basebackup, PostgreSQL won't start.

I get a checksum error, from pg_ctl.
2016-12-15 08:27:14.520 PST >FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

My guess is that despite the versions being the same, the binaries are different.

Is there a way to make this work, or should I give up? I wonder if the sys admins take bribes...

THANKS in advance!!
--

Richard Brosnahan