Обсуждение: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Source install

[GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Source install

От
Richard Brosnahan
Дата:
Good day to you!

I've got a PostgreSQL database server version 9.4.1 installed on an OEL 6 server. I have a second PostgreSQL database server version 9.4.1 running on an identical OEL 6 server. The first PostgreSQL was installed by system admins using RPM. The second PostgreSQL was installed from source, using --prefix to set the user and path to the installation. I want to run a mirror on the second server.

I do not have root, and cannot get root on these systems. Also, the sys admins now refuse to install PostgreSQL anywhere. This is really annoying!

I've followed all the instructions found here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION

The slave, running PostgreSQL 9.4.1 built from source, runs fine after I've run initdb and set things up.
When I replace its data directory as part of the mirroring instructions, using pg_basebackup, PostgreSQL won't start.

I get a checksum error, from pg_ctl.
2016-12-15 08:27:14.520 PST >FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

My guess is that despite the versions being the same, the binaries are different.

Is there a way to make this work, or should I give up? I wonder if the sys admins take bribes...

THANKS in advance!!
--

Richard Brosnahan

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Source install

Дата:
Richard Brosnahan <broz@mac.com> writes:
> I've got a PostgreSQL database server version 9.4.1 installed on an OEL 6 server. I have a second PostgreSQL database
serverversion 9.4.1 running on an identical OEL 6 server. The first PostgreSQL was installed by system admins using
RPM.The second PostgreSQL was installed from source, using --prefix to set the user and path to the installation. I
wantto run a mirror on the second server.

> I do not have root, and cannot get root on these systems. Also, the sys admins now refuse to install PostgreSQL
anywhere.This is really annoying!

> I've followed all the instructions found here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION

> The slave, running PostgreSQL 9.4.1 built from source, runs fine after I've run initdb and set things up.
> When I replace its data directory as part of the mirroring instructions, using pg_basebackup, PostgreSQL won't start.

> I get a checksum error, from pg_ctl.
> 2016-12-15 08:27:14.520 PST >FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

> My guess is that despite the versions being the same, the binaries are different.

You could try using pg_controldata to compare the pg_control contents;
it should be willing to print field values even if it thinks the checksum
is bad.  It would be interesting to see (a) what the master's
pg_controldata prints about its pg_control, (b) what the slave's
pg_controldata prints about pg_control from a fresh initdb there, and
(c) what the slave's pg_controldata prints about the copied pg_control.

I am a little suspicious about whether the PG versions are really the same.
There's a bug in the 9.5.x series that it will issue a checksum complaint
not a version-number complaint if started against a 9.4.x pg_control.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Sourceinstall

От
"marica.fr"
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:42:13 +0000 (GMT)
Richard Brosnahan <broz@mac.com> wrote:

> I get a checksum error, from pg_ctl.
> 2016-12-15 08:27:14.520 PST >FATAL: incorrect checksum in control file

Hi Richard,

Not sure if it applies, but just in case, I got this error when trying to use a cluster copied from one machine to
anotherone because they had different processors.

It worked after I used a machine with the same processor.

--
                    Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Gestion des sinistres assurances, des dossiers contentieux et des contrats pour le service juridique

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL mirroring from RPM install to Sourceinstall

От
Vincent Veyron
Дата:
[re-post, originally sent with wrong username]