Re: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?

От Stéphane Pinel
Тема Re: Accessing PostgreSQL from a remote host ?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Le vendredi, 14 fév 2003, à 21:40 Europe/Paris, Josh Berkus a écrit :

> Stephane,
>
>> As a newbie, I would like to know exactly what I have to
>> do (and how) (on the server) in order to get a running connection to
>> my
>> PostgreSQL database from a remote host (using a GUI
>> client).
>>
>> I'm going to get mad since I've tried everything I could
>> read about this topic without any success for hours ;-)
>>
>> MacOS X 10.2.4
>> PostgreSQL 7.3 (Marc Liyanage package)
>
> It's easy:
>
> 1) Change your postgresql.conf file (which should be in Postgres' data
> directory)  so that the option reads:
> tcpip_socket = true

OK. I've looked at this file and I saw that every line start with a
'#'. To my understanding
(approximatively nothing), this is a "comment" tag ? Should I rename:
"#tcpip_socket = true"
"tcpip_socket = true" ?

> 2) Modify your pg_hba.conf file to allow connections from the host
> from which
> you are trying to connect.
>
> 3) Restart PostgreSQL

Should I need to restart with the option -i ?

> 4) Configure your remote client to look to your database host to
> connect with
> the authentication method you indicated in 2.

Right.

Thank you very much

---
Stéphane