Starting the database server (2)

От Javier Perez
Тема Starting the database server (2)
Дата
Re: Starting the database server (2)  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
Re: Starting the database server (2)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi guys,

I still have a problem to start the database server as I wrote in the
first mail. I read many and many tutorials, but nothing is working to
start the postmaster.

<bold>1. When I create the database cluster I get this message:</bold>

(everything is installed correctly)

<italic>Success. You can now start the database server using:

sudo -u root sudo -u pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl \ -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -l /sw/var/log/postgresql/logfile start

</italic>

When I enter this command line, it ask me a password. I enter the
postgres password and I get this message:

<italic>sudo: no passwd entry for pgsql!</italic>

<bold>2. If I try the command as all the tutorials recommand:

</bold>

$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster   -D   /usr/local/pgsql/data

I get the following error message:

<italic>Fatal: no such group 'pgsql'

postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

</italic>

<bold>3. I finally tried starting it from the command:

</bold>

$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl restart -w -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

I received the following messge error:

<italic>pg_clt: cannot find /usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid

Is postmaster running?

starting postmaster anyway

cat: /usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts: No such file or directory

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl: : command not found

waiting for postmaster to
start................................................................................failed

pg_ctl: postmaster does not start

</italic>

This was all what happened when I wrote the command line. Actually I
don't know why I don't have both files postmaster.pid and
postmaster.opts? Do you think my PostgreSQL isn't correctly installed?

I work on MacOSX 10.2 and I installed PostgreSQL 7.2.2. In my case
PostgreSQL was include in a CD pack with another open source called
Grass. It's a GIS (geographical information system). When I installed
this open source, it automatically installed PostgreSQL and I couldn't
choose anything during the installation. I think I don't need to
compile PostgreSQL after this. I tell you this because I don't know if
this has an influence with my problems for starting postmaster.

I hope someone can help me to resolve this problem to launch the
postmaster.

Thanks for you help.

JavierHi guys,