Re: [HACKERS] int 8 on FreeBSD

От Holm Tiffe
Тема Re: [HACKERS] int 8 on FreeBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > [..]

> > > Its only an odd assumption to those on FreeBSD...we tend to be the only
> > > ones that pervert most of the "standards" as far as installation
> > > directories are concerned, and require specific handholding to get things
> > > to install :(
> >
> > ..but it is possible on FreeBSD to run several different tcl/tk pairs
> > in parallel, so it turns out that it is the better way and I can't
> > remeber that I have had such problems with an other package.
>
> Agreed, but, as far as I've seen so far (and I use FreeBSD myself, and
> hate it),

Why you use it ?

> FreeBSD is the only one that confuses the whole mess by doing
> this :(

I think, this is because FreeBSD has learned. There was a time who Tcl/Tk
versions where released nearly every day. FreeBSD has had an "imported"
tcl version in it's source dist. All Tcl versions where incomatible
to each other this time, and I've had to work around this several times.
The current behavior of FreeBSD is the only one solution for this.
Think of Linux, which libc today ?

> > Personally I HATE GNU's autoconf, it is really a pain to get things
> > working on "non standard environments". I prefer a Makefile in which
> > I can set options directly. But this is my own opinion and I can
> > understand why others doesn't think so.
>
> As far as tk/tcl is concerned, FreeBSD is the only "non-standard
> environment" that I'm aware of...the rest all install to standard
> locations...

No, that was not only relating to Tcl/Tk, there are many other things
like configuring a gcc-cross build environment and so on.

> > Watfor is the patches directory on ftp.postgresql.org/pub ?
> > It contains almost nothing of the actual patches from
> > the -patches mailinglist.
> > This makes it really not simple to get a halfways actual setup
> > without sup/cvsup or so...
>
> -patches mailing list is primarily -CURRENT tree stuff, untested.  The
> patches directory is pretty much tested stuff that we feel confident in
> ppl using...

Hmm, there must be very few confident things, when I take a look to this
patch directory....

A "Migration Path" (deltas) from on release to the next is on my wishlist,
to get a customers installation up to date without the full net access.

Holm
Ps: sorry for my poor english
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR      Holm Tiffe  * Administration, Development
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781279