Re: [HACKERS] int 8 on FreeBSD

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] int 8 on FreeBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Holm Tiffe wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> [..]
> > >
> > > BTW: why the configure script think's that tcl and tk includes
> > > (tclConfig.sh,tkConfig.sh) must reside in the same directory ?
> > > That's really an odd assumtion.
> >
> > Its only an odd assumption to those on FreeBSD...we tend to be the only
> > ones that pervert most of the "standards" as far as installation
> > directories are concerned, and require specific handholding to get things
> > to install :(
>
> ..but it is possible on FreeBSD to run several different tcl/tk pairs
> in parallel, so it turns out that it is the better way and I can't
> remeber that I have had such problems with an other package.

Agreed, but, as far as I've seen so far (and I use FreeBSD myself, and
hate it), FreeBSD is the only one that confuses the whole mess by doing
this :(

> Personally I HATE GNU's autoconf, it is really a pain to get things
> working on "non standard environments". I prefer a Makefile in which
> I can set options directly. But this is my own opinion and I can
> understand why others doesn't think so.

As far as tk/tcl is concerned, FreeBSD is the only "non-standard
environment" that I'm aware of...the rest all install to standard
locations...

> Watfor is the patches directory on ftp.postgresql.org/pub ?
> It contains almost nothing of the actual patches from
> the -patches mailinglist.
> This makes it really not simple to get a halfways actual setup
> without sup/cvsup or so...

-patches mailing list is primarily -CURRENT tree stuff, untested.  The
patches directory is pretty much tested stuff that we feel confident in
ppl using...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org