Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Given, Robert A" <bgiven@bu.edu> writes:
> Our philosophy is to use products that have been established, tested and
> stable. We tend to not go with newer versions until they have time to
> mature and have the bugs worked out. This is the version of the DB that
> was packaged with the version of Linux we're using. So our thinking is
> that we will go with that until we learn better.

It is time for you to learn better, right now.

7.4.2 is old and has numerous known bugs.  There is a valid argument
for sticking to the 7.4.* series, having to do with avoiding any
possible application-compatibility issues for apps that've only been
tested with 7.4.*, but there is no reason other than vendor laziness
to still be on a two-year-old subrelease in the 7.4.* series.

7.4 is currently at 7.4.11 (by Tuesday it will be 7.4.12) and there
are a significant number of security holes and risk-of-data-loss bugs
fixed in those updates.  See the release history at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release.html
and then ask yourself if you still trust your Linux vendor's judgment
so much.

Or you can "learn better" the hard way, by losing data.  Your choice.