Re: pgsql: Stamp 9.1.8.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Stamp 9.1.8.
Дата
Re: pgsql: Stamp 9.1.8.  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-committers
> I agree it can be hard to keep the dates in mind. Could we add a couple
> of reminders for committers to the release procedures? Say 48 hours
> before the release to say "the tree needs to go quiet in 24 hours" and
> 24 hours before to say "no commits without discussion until the release
> is cut"?

Well, we already make an effort to notify people a couple of weeks out,
eg this time it was
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3973.1358911165@sss.pgh.pa.us
I'm not sure if additional notifications would be useful or just spam,
but we can try it if enough committers want it.

I'd really rather not institute a bureaucratic "freeze deadline" for our
releases.  I'd like to think it's obvious to everybody that code you're
still hacking on the evening of the wrap is Probably Not Ready.

What perhaps *could* use a little more process IMO is the release notes.
While we do put a fair amount of effort into the notes for major
releases, the process for minor-release notes has generally been that
either Bruce or I run around like mad on the release day to construct
release notes from the commit logs.  There have been gripes about the
results in several recent cycles, eg
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1zKWZypzQ5PEtnqr4TgNKD_ccYL4DyA33+O3R579e7Pxw@mail.gmail.com
so maybe we need to be drafting and reviewing these a bit further in
advance.