Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> Any strong objections to the mixed relname_oid solution?

Yes!

You cannot make it work reliably unless the relname part is the original
relname and does not track ALTER TABLE RENAME.  IMHO having an obsolete
relname in the filename is worse than not having the relname at all;
it's a recipe for confusion, it means you still need admin tools to tell
which end is really up, and what's worst is you might think you don't.

Furthermore it requires an additional column in pg_class to keep track
of the original relname, which is a waste of space and effort.

It also creates a portability risk, or at least fails to remove one,
since you are critically dependent on the assumption that the OS
supports long filenames --- on a filesystem that truncates names to less
than about 45 characters you're in very deep trouble.  An OID-only
approach still works on traditional 14-char-filename Unix filesystems
(it'd mostly even work on DOS 8+3, though I doubt we care about that).

Finally, one of the reasons I want to go to filenames based only on OID
is that that'll make life easier for mdblindwrt.  Original relname + OID
doesn't help, in fact it makes life harder (more shmem space needed to
keep track of the filename for each buffer).

Can we *PLEASE JUST LET GO* of this bad idea?  No relname in the
filename.  Period.